Ratatouille My Way
- 2 medium onions cut into 1/2 inch moons
- 2 red peppers peeled and cored, and cut into 1/2 inch wide strips
- 1 medium eggplant sliced into 1/2 inch thick slices and then cut quarters (peeled if you like)
- 2 medium zucchini’s cut into 1/4 inch rounds
- 15 whole garlic cloves, peeled
- Olive oil
- 1 tsp. Fresh chopped rosemary
- 4 medium ripe tomatoes peeled if you like, cored and cut in chunks
- 1/4 cup thinly sliced fresh basil
- Position your oven racks in the top third and bottom third of your oven. Preheat to 400 degrees.
- Line 2 sheet pans with foil and top the foil with a piece of parchment paper.
- In a large bowl toss all the vegetables, except tomatoes, with the garlic, olive oil, rosemary and some salt to taste.
- Spread the vegetables on the 2 sheet pans evenly. Do not spread too thin or they will burn.
- Roast, tossing the vegetables a few times and trade the pan placements until they start to brown and get tender. 45 minutes
- If vegetables look like they are burning, toss them tighter together and turn the oven down. If they look dry, add some olive oil.
- Divide tomatoes between both pans and roast 20-30 more minutes.
- Scrape all the vegetables into a bowl and toss.
- Top with fresh basil. (And if you like heat, some red pepper flakes.) I also love shredded Parmesan cheese to taste.
- Serve warm as a side dish, on baguette slices for an appetizer or over warm pasta.
- Yields 4-5 cups.