Spatchcock Chicken with Maple-Soy Glaze
- 4-5 pound spatchcock chicken (chicken with backbone removed)
- 1 stick of butter at room temperature
- 1/2 orange cut into 4 pieces
- 2 tsp. fresh ginger, grated
- 2 minced garlic cloves
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 1 tbspn soy sauce or tamari
- 1 tbspn rice vinegar
- 1/2 tsp hot sauce
- 1/4 c dry sherry
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Prepare chicken.
- Place the chicken on counter and slowly run hand under skin to loosen it.
- Rub most of the butter under the skin and the rest all over the top of the chicken.
- Sprinkle the underside of the bird with salt and pepper.
- Place chicken in a prepared roasting pan with rack. Skin side up.
- Squeeze the oranges all over the chicken and then tuck them under the chicken. Mix the garlic and ginger together and rub under skin.
- Place the sherry in a small saucepan and reduce it for 3 minutes. Pour sherry over chicken.
- Whisk all the glaze ingredients together and leave on counter.
- Roast the chicken for 15 minutes and then brush with glaze and add 1/2 cup of water or chicken stock to the bottom of the pan.
- Continue to roast chicken for 30-40 minutes or until the thigh is 170 degrees.
- Brush chicken 1-2 more times during that time.
- Remove chicken from pan and let rest for 10 minutes, meanwhile, remove fat from the surface of the pan juices and add the rest of the glaze.
- Bring that sauce to a boil and serve along side of chicken.